Shape of Role
The role of the Solutions Architect is to research, interpret, scope, design, approve and oversee the implementation of complex business information systems, servers and network infrastructure solutions for core and strategic ICT projects.
The post holder will research and evaluate new and emerging technologies in order to advise senior management across the council on the best solutions to meet business objectives and the wider needs of the council.
- To proactively review existing business solutions and provide recommendations to senior management for improvements to service delivery through the use of enabling technology.
- To evaluate the appropriate use of technology for optimum service delivery and accessibility to staff and citizens.
- To ensure that business systems meet statutory obligations (e.g. Data Protection) and best-practice standards in respect to functionality, data security, interoperability, etc.
- To quality-assure designs from third-parties and other departments across the council, ensuring they deliver relevant, business-focussed solutions which meet Camden and relevant industry standards.
- To lead on feasibility studies as part of the Demand Management process, working to tight deadlines, in order to assess the suitability of proposed IT developments, identifying opportunities, risks, costs and benefits, making recommendations to the Senior IT and Business stakeholder groups on whether to proceed with proposals.
- To lead on the creation of high-level and low-level designs as part of Demand Management, working to tight deadlines in fluid situations, in order to provide a clear set of deliverables to be handed over to the delivery teams as part of project commissioning.
- To interpret business and user requirements, translate these into technical functional and non-functional requirements and reflect these solutions back to the business in a business-friendly language.
- To negotiate with stakeholders at all levels, particularly the end-user and the Technical Design Authority to ensure solutions provided meet both user needs and technical standards.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Educated to degree level with a degree in computer science / technology / or demonstrable work delivered to a degree level standard
- Up-to-date ITIL / Agile and TOGAF (or equivalent ICT architectural qualifications)
- Experience of solutions design and a detailed working knowledge of IT infrastructure including servers, storage, databases, networking, applications and security within an Enterprise Architecture context.
- Experience of Agile (iterative) project methodologies
- Experience in liaising with customers and building lasting working relationships
- Experience in liaising with suppliers with regard to developing designs and roadmaps
- High level of IT literacy in designing, implementing and developing solutions
- Knowledge and deep understanding of the technology domains that are relevant to their solution
- Expert technical , skills and experience that will enable them to produce durable, flexible and extensible architectural designs.
- Knowledge and understanding of Solution Architectural frameworks, ideally within a TOGAF context
- Excellent problem-solving ability, including the ability to install, configure and troubleshoot disparate systems with poor documentation
- Able to work effectively at all levels within and beyond the Council, advising elected members, the Chief Executive, the Head of Internal Audit, Data Security Manager and other relevant officers
- Knowledge of and proven ability to work to standards including ITIL, Prince2, TOGAF, ISO 27001, Data Protection Act and other legal and regulatory frameworks relevant to the management of a public sector ICT service
- Knowledge of web-based systems architecture, service-based architecture, enterprise application architecture
- Knowledge of common ICT Opensource technologies and standards, particularly RedHat enterprise linux, JBoss products (EAP, SOA-P, FUSE) and Liferay Portal.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to synthesise requirements into a working system in an iterative manner
- The ability to get things done without direct authority over a team. Good negotiating and influencing skills
- Ability to work flexibly and on occasions out of office hours
Please note this is a contracted position of 3-6 months with the possibility of extension depending on budgets and performance.
For further information please contact email@example.com or call 0208 8551632
**Please note as an agency we can only offer an Umbrella PAYE rate for this post **