Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
1. Make a positive contribution to the delivery of the service, this will include working flexibly and positively to achieve the objectives of the council.
2. Manage and lead staff to achieve high performance and effective operational delivery, including developing and improving staff capability.
3. Manage a customer focused service and the effective use of resources.
4. Ensure that the council’s overall vision, values and ethos are central to the requirements of the service.
5. Support effective working relationships and act as an ambassador and advocate with external organisations
6. Keep up to date with developments in service delivery and best practice to ensure the service performs effectively and to the highest standards.
7. To provide high level specialist and proactive legal advice to the Council, its Cabinet, Committee members and senior officers and other external clients on all issues arising, this includes company, commercial, procurement and contractual matters on behalf of the Council, and, where appropriate, external clients
8. To advise on and draft documentation in connection with complex regeneration, contractual and commercial matters.
9. To advise on the development of commercial ventures by the Council and in relation to any companies the council has or may establish or be shareholder. 10. To procure, manage and work closely with external legal advisers in respect of complex projects.
* Operates within a framework set by Corporate and Departmental Management Teams, but with freedom to influence the shape of services.
* Policy and service development involvement.
* Wide range of internal and external contacts and partnership working.
* Procurement and management of external suppliers of legal support to complex projects
Knowledge and Qualifications:
* Qualification as Solicitor or Barrister
* Evidence of significant relevant Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
* Full understanding of risk management in the context of corporate governance
* Track record of achievement at a management level in a similarly large and complex organisation including:
* Well developed understanding of company and commercial law, procurement and contract management. Comprehensive knowledge of the law affecting local government and its trends in the UK and EU.
* Experience of providing advice to members of a Council/ Board Members on legal issues both in public meetings, through presentation briefing reports etc.
* Experience of contributing to corporate decision making and development of corporate policy and strategy.
Please note this is a contracted position of 3-6 months with the possibility of extension depending on budgets and performance.
**Please note as an agency we can only offer an Umbrella PAYE rate for this post and confirmation of Eligibility to work in the UK will be required before submission**