PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The post holder/s will be responsible for the smooth and efficient running of the market during the normal operating hours. Assisting traders with the setup, inclusive of erecting and dismantling of gazebos and market stall equipment, maintenance of the stall set up and the safety and security of the market during working hours. This will also include responsibility to ensure that all waste and litter after the market has been cleared to ensure area is left clean and tidy. You may be required to assist with any Ad-Hoc additional duties should they arise.
The responsibility will also include regulating set up activities within the borough’s markets and designated street trading areas, in accordance with legislative requirements and agreed policies and procedures.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The post holder will have lead responsibility and accountability for the following:-
- To develop and maintain positive and effective working relationships and lines of communication between the Markets Team and the Market Traders and other stake holders to maximise the trading potential and shopping experience of each Market.
- To develop open and positive communications with traders in order to build sustainable relationships and identify strategic trader positioning within the market to maximise revenue opportunity and enhance customer experience.
- To represent the council by providing a professional front line service to traders and service users.
- To ensure the setting up and closing down of the market, including assisting traders accessing and assembling stalls in the correct manner and in accordance with current health and safety legislation.
- You are required to wear the protective clothing issued at all times and ensure that it is kept clean and tidy. It is a condition under the Health & Safety at Work Act section 7(a) that protective clothing is worn.
- At all times you must ensure that nothing you do endangers or is likely to endanger the health & safety of yourself, your colleagues and members of the general public.
- Report any damage to stalls to the market Inspector
- Report any complaints to the market supervisor
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND KNOWLEDGE:
- To be physically fit and alert as well being able to work in all weathers.
- Ensure you maintain a polite and courteous manner towards members of the public and traders at all times.
- An ability to work effectively as part of a team and incorporating cross departmental working.
- Being able to use own initiative with minimal direction or supervision.
- Ability to establish effective monitoring systems in respect to the maintenance, recording and reporting of any damage, repairs or replacement of market stall equipment.
- To have a knowledge, understanding and commitment to the Council’s core values and objectives.
- To have a thorough understanding of relevant legislation associated with the market and street trading function including Local London Authorities Act, Council Bye-laws, and a working knowledge of the licensing Act, Health and Safety legislation, and Environmental Health and Trading Standards issues.
- It is essential that you have regard to your responsibilities under the terms of the District Council’s Health & Safety Policy. You must always adopt the safe working practices described in the relevant Codes of Practice and adhere to other guidance and instructions, which you may receive from time to time in respect of health & safety.
- To have an understanding of local market trading activities, town centre and market set up and trading patterns.
- Ability to adjust own work priorities to assist colleagues in meeting the needs of the service.
- Ability to work to strict guidelines and procedures.
- To communicate in a way that meets the needs of a diverse audience and in a way that influences effectively.
- Be able to demonstrate a personal and professional approach which generates credibility, respect and confidence amongst colleagues and senior members of the organisation, the council and other stakeholders.
- Having a high standard of English grammar and composition.
- Ability to demonstrate highly developed oral, written and presentation skills.
- Ability to demonstrate a strong desire to succeed in delivering high quality front line service.
Please note this is a contracted position of 3-6 months with the possibility of extension depending on budgets and performance.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0208 8551632
**Please note as an agency we can only offer an Umbrella PAYE rate for this post and confirmation of Eligibility to work in the UK will be required before submission**