To improve the private sector housing stock by responding to complaints, giving advice, carrying out inspections and where necessary enforcing provisions of legislation relating to private sector housing and public health issues.
To deliver a customer focused, high quality service in accordance with the agreed service specifications, business plan, service level agreements and the requirements of legislation, delegated powers, Council policy and Standing Orders and officer codes of practice.
To liaise with staff in the Housing Division with respect to the enforcement of housing standards in private sector accommodation, including accommodation, used by the Council to temporarily accommodate homeless persons.
Key tasks and accountabilities are intended to be a guide to the range and level of work expected of the post holder. This is not an exhaustive list of all tasks that may fall to the post holder and employees will be expected to carry out such other reasonable duties, which may be required from time to time.
This is a career graded post. The post holder will receive annual increments to the top of each grade and will be considered on an annual basis for progression to the next grade. The post holder will be required to demonstrate through the appraisal process and additional skills gained through training and experience and will be expected to take on work of increasing complexity and to work with a decreasing level of supervision.
Environmental Health Officers
1. To be part of a team and manage a caseload with the collective responsibility of meeting team targets and service objectives, in relation to :
- Houses in Multiple Occupation including Licensing
- Private Sector renewal grants or loans
- Overcrowding and Directions Orders
- Empty Homes initiatives
- The investigation and resolution of various classes of Statutory Nuisance and Public Health complaints
- Housing and other relevant Legislation in relation to Private Sector Housing Stock
- Supporting the Council’s Energy Efficiency Strategy
2. Dealing with service requests and giving advice to tenants, occupiers and landlords as appropriate.
3. Carrying out such specific investigations and surveys as may be assigned.
4. Including advising on Housing standards enforcement and standards in houses in multiple occupation, hostels and bed and breakfast accommodation
5. To carry out reactive and proactive work in respect of all types of Houses in Multiple Occupation, including work involved in the implementation of the Council’s Mandatory HMO licensing scheme.
6. To initiate and carry through enforcement action in respect of all legislation within the remit of the Environmental Health Section, and to attend Court and represent the Council in enforcement proceedings if necessary, as directed by the Business Unit Leader (Environmental Health) or the Head of Service.
7. To apply the Housing and Health Safety Rating System (HHSRS) to dwellings and make judgements as to the most appropriate course of action. Prepare specifications of work/notices and interpret plans etc on site.
8. To prepare and process all forms of internal and external correspondence.
9. To prepare specifications of works, comment on tendered details as requested, supervise works on site and certify satisfactory completion in respect of works being undertaken by contractors appointed by the Council.
10. To be involved in the implementation of policy decisions relevant to team.
1. To have a detailed understanding of housing enforcement, regulation and related law.
2. To undertake and mange project based work as required.
3. To originate and develop to completion reports on individual schemes of work or matters relating to activity and performance for the of Environmental Health work.
4. To direct student Environmental Health Officers and other persons while assigned to the post holder for training purposes.
To hold an appropriate Environmental Health Registration Board approved Academic Qualification e.g. MSc Environmental Health, BSc (Hons) Environmental Health.
To enable full registration with the Environmental Health Officer Registration Board (EHRB)
Fully meet the relevant competency requirements of housing, environmental health, statutory nuisance and related legislation.
Experience of working within a local authority Environmental Health Service
Please note this is a contracted position of 3-6 months with the possibility of extension depending on budgets and performance.
For further information please contact email@example.com or call 0208 8551632
**Please note as an agency we can only offer an Umbrella PAYE rate for this post and confirmation of Eligibility to work in the UK will be required before submission**