MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
- To welcome and engage with all customers, creating a positive first impression; identifying and responding to individual library culture and learning support needs in order to provide a high quality service.
- To assist and enable customers to make full use of the facilities and services.
- To undertake support tasks, including customer enquiries, face to face, on the telephone and online.
- As a team member contribute to the development of a libraries and culture service that meets local resident need and supports the delivery of the council’s plan.
- To deliver a high-performing, customer-focussed service clearly demonstrating and displaying the Councils values and competencies.
- To provide assistance, support and instruction to library, culture and learning customers using IT equipment and software, promote and support the use of self- service equipment and troubleshoot as required.
- To assist all customers with enquiries promptly and effectively providing accurate and timely information, including referral and signposting to other services.
- To register residents as library members, assist in enrolling learners on to adult education programmes and to support the programming of cultural events and activities.
- Undertake stock circulation and management procedures, including sorting, shelving and tidying of returned material, dealing with reservations, fines, membership and general administrative activities.
- To carry out all relevant duties and tasks day to day as directed on a rota basis (including reception and front of house duties as appropriate) and to make sure the library/Curve environment is maintained to a high standard, include general tidying.
- To assist with promotional activities across libraries and cultural services, supporting outreach activity and to fully understand the library learning and culture offer.
- Support and where appropriate lead libraries and culture activities such as music and story times, events and exhibitions.
- To comply with all council policies and procedures particularly the council’s equal opportunities, diversity, health and safety policies including ensuring safeguarding of children and the service dress code and code of conduct policy.
- To support the implementation of the 5 year plan, Service Plan and Service standards and priorities working flexibly where appropriate.
- Actively seek personal skills development to support organisational capability through training, including mentoring and coaching opportunities.
- To support and actively engage with changes and service improvements to deliver excellent customer service.
- To undertake any other appropriate duties, as determined by the Line managers or other managers as required. To work flexibly and be mobile working at alternative sites including satellite across library and satellite sites supporting managers supporting the service priorities. This includes working at an alternative location and flexible days and hours.
- Working in a customer focused environment
- Experience of working in a team
- Experience of working with computers and IT software and resources
- Awareness of the range of services currently delivered by libraries
- Strong understanding of the need to deliver an excellent service that has our customers as the focus of activities
- Understands and promotes equality and diversity issues within their area of work
- Good knowledge and understanding of ICT
- Understands the importance of reading, lifelong learning and the libraries role in developing these skills
Key competencies and behaviours
- Demonstrates appropriate level of skills, knowledge and experience for this role. Well-developed IT skills including excellent working knowledge of Microsoft applications and how to operate a range of tablets and similar devices
- Demonstrates an ability to deal with the needs of a diverse range of customers. Takes ownership of problems and actively seeks solutions for customers
- Builds constructive working relationships with colleagues and customers
- A team player able to make valuable contributions to a team, sharing knowledge, information and ideas. Listens to others and appreciates different viewpoints
- Demonstrates highly developed written and oral communication skills. Effective use of telephone and e-mail. Able to adjust communication to suit the person and the situation
- Demonstrates effective time management, able to prioritise, meet customer needs and be adaptable and flexible
- Understands and promotes H&S issues within their area of work
- Uses resources appropriately and follows agreed financial and cash handling process
- GCSEs – or relevant NVQ or equivalent qualification or experience in a range of subjects at grades A – C
- Commitment to personal development including attending training to improve skill level
Please note Brampton Group can only offer an Umbrella rate for this position
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org