PURPOSE OF JOB
The post-holder will be expected to investigate and report on all accident claims.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Investigate and prepare comprehensive reports of all accident/claims against Brent Council on the Public Highway.
- Liaise with authorities, Loss Adjusters for evidence in defense against refuted claims.
- Gather all documentation within the time scales defined in Woolf Report to investigate claims.
- Represent Authority as required in law courts with regard to claims.
- Assist in prioritising the maintenance programme to reduce the risk of claims.
- Communicate effectively both written and orally with all stakeholders.
- Liaise with all internal / external agencies as appropriate to ensure coordination of the highways maintenance function.
- Participate in the quality assurance system, environmental management system and health & safety system, and ensure that accreditation to BS EN ISO 9002, 14001 and OHSAS 18001 is maintained.
- Participate in the development of the service area, giving advice and representing the unit and Authority as appropriate
- The postholder will undertake such courses of study or training as deemed necessary to improve their knowledge base and maintain up to date knowledge of the processes and legal requirements for accident claims and insurance.
- Participate in all Transportation Service Unit initiatives including best value, Charter Mark, IIP, and the staff appraisal scheme.
- Prepare technical, financial and progress reports as directed.
- To be the key focal point of contact in dealing with complex or issues on a regular basis recommending appropriate courses of action where appropriate.
- To be responsible for identifying, recommending and implementing improvements that can be made to the level of service provided.
- To be responsible for the development, maintenance and update of systems and procedures to support and enhance the work of the team.
- The post-holder will undertake any other duties as may be deemed appropriate by service managers and team leaders to maintain an efficient and effective service.
- The postholder must at all times carry out her/his duties with due regard to the Council’s Customer Care, Equal Opportunities and Best Value Policies and incorporating the Council’s Core Competencies.
- The post holder is required to take reasonable care for the safety and health of themselves and others who may be affected by their acts; and to work with management to comply with Service/Unit procedures and protocols and with Brent Council’s Health and Safety Policy and all guidance, instructions and risk assessments. In particular the jobholder is required to attend training relevant to their post in order to ensure their health and safety responsibilities are met.
- To understand the value of information to the council and to contribute to good information governance by keeping information safe, accurate and up to date and available to those who need it. Abide by the council’s information governance policies.
Education, Training & Qualifications
- 5 GCSEs or equivalent
- Trained in general office software, word, excel, PowerPoint etc.
- NRSWA Accredited
Knowledge & Experience
- Understanding of Highways Legislation
- Minimum 5 years experience in a similar environment (other public body or consultancy)
- Experience of performance indicators
- Knowledge and understanding of Quality Management System
- Understanding of Council’s Customer Care Policy
- Understanding of Council’s Equal Opportunities Policy
- Knowledge and understanding of best value policy
Skills & Abilities
- Able to work without close supervision
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Computer literate
- Current and up to date knowledge of highway related issues
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in written form
- Ability to collate, analyse and interpret information accurately
- The ability to compile accident reports with the minimum of supervision
- Able to assist with the management of administrative staff.
- Full clean driving licence
Please note this is a contracted position of 3-6 months with the possibility of extension depending on budgets and performance.
For further information please contact email@example.com or call 0208 8551632
**Please note as an agency we can only offer an Umbrella PAYE rate for this post **